Tuesday 26 January 2016

THE REVENANT - review


THE REVENANT
Director: Alejandro González Iñárritu
Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hardy, Will Poulter, Domhnall Gleeson, Forrest Goodluck

Synopsis: Inspired by true events, THE REVENANT captures one man's epic adventure of survival and the extraordinary power of the human spirit. In an expedition of the uncharted American wilderness, legendary explorer Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio) is brutally attacked by a bear and left for dead by members of his own hunting team. In a quest to survive, Glass endures unimaginable grief as well as the betrayal of his confidant John Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy). Guided by sheer will and the love of his family, Glass must navigate a vicious winter in a relentless pursuit to live and find redemption.

Doesn't that synopsis sound like you might actually want to see the film? I thought so. That coupled with it's wins at the Globes, I took myself off with my man to go and catch this much talked about film. Silly me, I should have known better than to listen to all the hype, but the trailer looked like it might be ok and I was pleased for Leo in his Globe win for Best Actor, and was excited to be seeing yet another Academy nominated Best Picture film. Well, let me just tell you that I felt every single second of the 2 hours and 36 minutes that this film runs for. Every. Single. Second. When I looked at the time and realised that we'd only been in there for 30 minutes and still had another 2 hours to go I nearly cried.

Upon speaking to others who had seen the film, I discovered that people were really divided. They either loved or hated it. There was no one who was like "meh, it was ok". Well, let me tell you which side of the fence I was on...I hated it. Every. Single. Second. I appreciate that the story was inspired by true events, but it was so far from believable that I couldn't get involved in the story at all. All I could do was internalise how impossible it was, how ridiculous it was, how highly improbable it was that Glass didn't die at least 75 times in the first 30 minutes.

To me this film was a vehicle to finally get DiCaprio an Oscar, and by God I think they may have done it. He was incredible in the film, but honestly there are only so many close ups of Leo being pained that I can endure.



The direction of the film was really well done, but in my honest opinion the film was at least an hour too long. Some drawn out, slow moving scenes of nothing could have easily been left on the cutting room floor and no one would have been any the wiser. I probably would still have hated every single second, but there would have been less of them for me to hate. Knowing that this film has received an Oscar nomination for Best Picture and CAROL didn't makes me all the more angry about it.

The film was gratuitously violent, which I normally can stomach, but there was plenty in there that I had to half cover my eyes for, so be warned. If you have a weak stomach then THE REVENANT is not for you. Bear attacks, scalpings, wound cauterising by gunpowder and fire, stabbings, rape, horse skinnings and the like, you need to steel yourself for this one.

Glass carrying his son to safety
Image via Fox Studios

The driving force behind Glass' survival is his love for his son and then his desire for revenge to hunt down and kill the man who murdered his son, John Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy). I imagine that is a pretty powerful emotion, but there is part of me that wonders how close to the truth this film is what actually happened. How much of an interpretation have they made of this story? How did he not die the 75 times he should have? I don't know, and frankly even though I could google it and find out, I honestly hated it so much that I don't even care.

I think that there will be no surprises when DiCaprio wins the Oscar for Best Actor and Alejandro González Iñárritu wins for Best Director and THE REVENANT wins for Best Picture, but I honestly don't think it should win. Leo deserves to win, but THE REVENANT sucked and I hated it and I don't want it to win, so that means it probably will. Ugh. If I was you, I would save the 20-something dollars and not bother going to see this film at the cinema. It's nearly 3 hours of your life that you won't get back.

2 out of 5

Xoxo
The Blonde Bombshell



No comments:

Post a Comment