Monday 25 January 2016

CAROL - review


Director: Todd Haynes
Cast: Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara, Sarah Paulson, Kyle Chandler

Synopsis: In an adaptation of Patricia Highsmith's seminal novel The Price of Salt, CAROL follows two women from very different backgrounds who find themselves in an unexpected love affair in 1950's New York. As conventional norms of the time challenge their undeniable attraction, an honest storey emerges in the face of change. A young woman in her 20s, Therese Belivet (Rooney Mara), is a clerk working in a Manhattan department store and dreaming of a more fulfilling life when she meets Carol (Cate Blanchett), an alluring woman trapped in a loveless, convenient marriage. As an immediate connection sparks between them, the innocence of their first encounter dims and their connection deepens. While Carol breaks free from the confines of her marriage, her husband (Kyle Chandler) begins to question her competence as a mother as her involvement with Therese and close relationship with her best friend Abby (Sarah Paulson) come to light. 

Another Golden Globe Best Picture nominee that I had to wait to see until after the Globes had aired, because Australia. I took myself off to see CAROL in my movie marathon week (5 films in 2 days) and whilst I was expecting it to be good, I was surprised at just how good it was. I love Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara has been growing on my over the years, and Sarah Paulson and Kyle Chandler are highly underrated in my opinion. The four of them coupled with a glorious screenplay by Phyllis Nagy (adapted from Patricia Highsmith's novel) and incredible direction of Todd Haynes brings about a seriously powerful film, and one of the saddest pieces of cinema I have seen in quite a while.

A chance encounter in a department store changes these women's lives forever
Image via The Weinstein Company

Two women have a chance encounter in a department store that changes both their lives forever. The beginning was a little predictable - Carol (Blanchett) leaves her gloves, Therese (Mara) returns them love ensues. However, after that initial little bit of predictability, I let myself get swept up in the story and I was transported to another world. Todd Haynes has directed an incredible piece of cinema with a lovely crafted script by Phyllis Nagy, I'm intrigued to read to book to see how close to the original text the film is. The pace of CAROL is quite slow, but not in a negative way. It really gives you time to think, absorb and wallow in the emotions of the story as you're being swept away in the lives of Carol and Therese. 

CAROL is highly emotional and Haynes has brought out some wonderful performances from Blanchett and Mara. The chemistry between Carol and Therese is palpable if not somewhat disturbing. A young 20 something woman captivated by an alluring older woman, and at first you think that perhaps Carol is taking advantage, but then you see that Carol's feelings are equal to if not more fierce than Therese's. CAROL brings out all the feels, they share a once in a life time love at first sight love with no explanation, but no explanation is needed. 

One simple touch can convey so many emotions 
Image via The Weinstein Company

CAROL shows the very real power of a mother's love, Carol's husband uses their daughter as a pawn in their relationship, taking her away because of Carol's immoral behaviour. I can't imagine the pain that would bring to someone, but the fierce love of a mother forces Carol to make a choice between her daughter and her own happiness. I was caught up in the sadness of the situation, sympathy and empathy, and the anger and injustice of it all. Immoral behaviour?! What a crock. That was the time I guess...1950's New York, I'm not surprised, but still, what a crock. 

Kyle Chandler and Cate Blanchett - one in love and one out of love
Image via The Weinstein Company

CAROL takes you on a journey through love, exploration of self, pain, anger and heartache. I really love the subtlety in this film, the long lingering looks, the powerful underlying score, the incredible cinematography and the exquisite costuming. In fact, there isn't much that I didn't love about this film.  There are no surprises to me for the nominations that CAROL has received by the Academy, however I am outraged that it didn't receive a Best Picture nomination, outraged I tell you!!

Blanchett and Mara are both deserving of their nominations for Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress respectively. I would love to say that Blanchett will win, however I think she has tough competition in Jennifer Lawrence and Brie Larson. Only time will tell, as I've yet to see Brie. Larson in her nominated role (bring on next week), but I think that Lawrence did a lovely job in JOY. 


Do yourself a favour and hand over the 20-something dollars at your local picture house to see CAROL. It was beautiful, captivating, moving and truly a magnificent piece of cinema. However, if you're opposed to lesbianism like the woman who was sat next to me in the cinema tut-tutting and being generally outraged about it the whole time, then do everyone else a favour and stay home. 

4 out of 5 

Xoxo
The Blonde Bombshell





No comments:

Post a Comment