Monday 27 July 2015

TRAINWRECK - preview review


TRAINWRECK
Director: Judd Apatow
Cast: Amy Schumer, Bill Hader, Brie Larson, Colin Quinn, LeBron James, John Cena

Well isn't this a highly anticipated movie. I don't think I've seen this much press and celebrity shenanigans around a film in Australia for a while. Every time I turned on the TV or radio, or looked at my news feeds, there was Amy Schumer and Bill Hader having a laugh and promoting their new film TRAINWRECK. Not saying it's a bad thing, but there's hype and then there's too much hype. You're shoving it so far down people's throats that three things can happen (other things can happen two but these are the main three); they hate it before they even see it because they're so sick of hearing about it; they're super excited to see it because all they've heard about for weeks is how good it is and then they're mildly to bitterly disappointed; they're excited by all the hype and they actually like the film once they see it because thankfully not all the funny bits are in the trailer.

LeBron James acting aldies and gents - who knew?!
image via Universal Studios

In my case, I was looking forward to seeing what all the fuss was about, a little bit skeptical because there was so much hype (they could have been plugging it so hard because it was shite, you never know), and I was hopeful. The writer and casting made me hopeful, I like Amy Schumer as a stand up comedian, so in theory her writing can't be that horrific and Bill Hader was always a favourite of mine on SNL. So here's the deal;

Since she was a little girl, it's been drilled into Amy's head by her rascal of a dad tht monogamy isn't realistic. Now a magazine writer, Amy lives by tht credo - enjoying what she feels is an uninhibited life free from stifling, boring romantic commitment - but in actuality, she's kind of in a rut. When she finds herself starting to fall for the subject of a new article she's writing, a charming and successful doctor named Aaron Conners, Amy starts to wonder if other grown-ups, including this guy who really seems to like her, might be onto something. 

Other critics are calling it semi-autobiographical, and if you've seen any of Schumer's previous work, or know anything about her life, you would have cause to agree. I'm sure there's plenty of fiction thrown in there, but there's likely an equal amount of reality there too. Schumer is from Long Island, has a married sister named Kim and a father with MS. Amy is from Long Island, has a married sister named Kim and a father with MS. There is definitely grounding in reality here.

Amy and her sister Kim enjoying a spot of tea
image via Universal Studios

Schumer has written a good script, albeit not as funny as I had anticipated (thank you crazy media hype - not) and handed it over to the very capable comedic writer, director and producer Judd Apatow (KNOCKED UP, 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN, BRIDESMAIDS and the list goes on). Apatow has done a great job directing this film and I have to say it's the only Apatow film I can remember that made me cry. I think what's happened here is that this is a film that Apatow is directing that he hasn't written, and there's someone else there to make sure the movie goes on the emotive journey that it's meant to.

Schumer is awkward, relatable, and nothing is off-limits or inappropriate, so the script is raw and realistic unlike some other Hollywood fodder. There are still some moments, where I thought "ooooh, that's not Kosher", I'm a little rough around the edges myself, have the mouth of a sailor and the filter that is supposed to stop the brutal stuff from coming out of my mouth is on the blink, so I didn't fare so badly.  There were certainly people in the session that I was in that struggled with the content of this, so word of warning, if you're not into "beep" worthy language, innuendo, drugs, booze and general inappropriate behaviour then perhaps steer clear.

Now, let's take a minute to talk about Bill Hader as Amy's unlikely boyfriend Dr Aaron Conners. Hader makes for a lovely leading man, and whilst I personally have always found him to be a funny man, in this film I also thought he was pretty darn cute. That right there is the sign of some great acting, I thought his character was so lovely and charming that he grew cuter as the film went on, just like how it happens in real life sometimes. He was adorable and they made a great onscreen couple and the realistic writing and portrayal of their love story made sense to me, unlike some other Hollywood screen romances.

Amy and Aaron sharing a moment of PDA
image via Universal Studios

Some other notable mentions in casting, Colin Quinn was hilarious as Amy's dad Gordon, Tilda Swinton was berely recognisable and fabulous as Amy's boss Dianna, John Cena was actually sort of funny as Amy's earlier 'boyfriend' Steven and LeBron James ladies and gentleman actually could act. Who knew that was going to happen?! He was actually great as Aaron's best friend and rumor has it, he was just naturally pretty great at the whole being funny thing and didn't need a whole heap of coaching.

LeBron and Aaron out for lunch - again, who knew?!

Tilda Swinton (I know trust me it's her) as Dianna
images via Universal Studios

Overall I have to say, that it wasn't as funny as it's been cracked up to be with all the touring and promoting and media hype, and that's why I say sometimes all that malarky is dangerous, but TRAINWRECK was funny and awkard, and inappropriate and totally relatable. The ending is cheesy as all get out, but it works because they (the characters) realise that it's cheesy and ridiculous and go with it anyway because well, that's life, you just have to go with it. I think it's worth the 20-something dollars, but if you're going to go on opening weekend, make sure you get your tickets early as all the preview sessions over the weekend were sold out and I think opening weekend at the cinema for TRAINWRECK is going to be a bit nuts. 

3.5 out of 5

xoxo
The Blonde Bombshell







No comments:

Post a Comment