Friday 24 April 2015

TESTAMENT OF YOUTH - review

TESTAMENT OF YOUTH
Director: James Kent
Cast: Alicia Vikander, Kit Harrington, Taron Egerton, Colin Morgan, Emily Watson, Dominic West



TESTAMENT OF YOUTH is the film adaptation of Vera Brittain's memoir and is a tastefully executed film that doesn't quite do the powerful and moving memoir justice. Vera Brittain's story is an incredible journey of a young woman desperate to make something of herself and become a writer whose world is torn apart by the ravages of war. She gives up her hard earned place at Oxford to volunteer as a nurse, loses a friend, her fiance and her brother - a cruel irony given that she convinced her father to let him sign up.

If you haven't read the book and you like to read, I would recommend reading the book over watching the film. The film is fine enough, it tells the story well, but doesn't leave room for the passion and anger that should have been depicted in this film about the horrors of war. Alicia Vikander plays a lovely Vera, but she isn't afforded the time or direction to really let show the breadth and depth of emotion that should have been there.

such a lovely ensemble whose talents were a little wasted


The performances all round were lovely, but everyone seemed slightly reserved. It felt a little like it was just on the peak of the emotional explosion, but for fear of offending people or perhaps a desire to keep it all in good taste director Kent doesn't let it go. Given the sheer talent of this fantastic little ensemble I was disappointed. Vikander has one brief moment at the end of the film where she lets rip on the futility of war, but I wanted more. Kit Harrington (Vera's fiance Roland) comes back from the front on home leave and you can tell he's tormented, but again, apart from one moment where the anguish really shines through, the emotion is a little stiff. Taron Egerton (Vera's brother Edward) and Colin Morgan (Vera's friend Victor) are also both wonderful actors and yet they seem a little lost in this piece. Egerton's relationship with Vikander is natural and loving and they seem as close as siblings can get, but when Edward dies just a short time after Vera saved his life in a 'hospital' at the front she should be madder, and sadder or something. We should have been given more - I felt more, but I didn't get to share that more with the characters.

Vera and Roland on their first real date

I felt like I should have been a sobbing mess during parts of this film, but the emotion was held back just enough that it didn't quite take me there. I had one moment where a few tears fell, but I wasn't the blubbering mess I had prepared myself to be. I could tell the points where Kent wanted to audience to really feel and to open the flood gates, but I wasn't taken there and that's saying something given that I usually cry at the drop of a hat in films!

Overall the film is lovely, well executed, well acted and well directed. There isn't much to fault it on in terms of the quality of the production, however it was a little more reserved that I had been anticipating and to me that was disappointing. With such a powerful and affecting source material, I think there was so much more that could have been acheived in this film. No matter, I'm still glad I went to see it. I think it will sit well with most audiences, and that people who have perhaps not read A TESTAMENT OF YOUTH will enjoy it and will not find fault with the level of emotion in the film as I did.

If you don't mind the odd war film, superb costuming and set design, lovely acting and a hint of romance then I think it's worth spending the 20-something dollars on a ticket for TESTAMENT OF YOUTH. If however you have read the book and have high hopes for this piece, either lower your expectations significantly, or save your dollars and wait for it to come out on DVD.

xoxo
The Blonde Bombshell





No comments:

Post a Comment