Saturday 18 April 2015

THE AGE OF ADALINE - review

THE AGE OF ADALINE
Director: Lee Toland Krieger
Cast: Blake Lively, Michiel Huisman, Ellen Burstyn, Harrison Ford




I had one day off this week and yesterday was it. Against all my better judgement, I forsook my sleep in, got up early and hopped on over to the local to catch the first session of the day - THE AGE OF ADALINE. I did have my concerns that I would be disappointed. Purely based on my judgement of the trailer and some pretty scathing reviews of said trailer when it first came out 5 or so months ago. Let me tell you why I wasn't. Because it didn't actually suck as a film, that's why. In fact I quite enjoyed it.

So, here's the deal,  Adaline Bowman (Blake Lively) was born in 1908, and is rendered ageless after a freak accident in 1935. Her looks do not change at all throught the 8 decades of her like from the day she had her accident at the youthful age of 29. Adaline leads a solitary existence, always on the run for fear that someone will discover her secret and turn her into a lab experiment to find out why she doesn't age (which they nearly did). She never shares her secret with anyone other than her own daughter (Ellen Burstyn), who follows the normal process of aging and comes to look as if she could be Adaline's grandmother. An encounter with a very handsome, charming and determined philanthropist (Michiel Huisman) brings to the fore her lonliness, and her longing for love. When a weekend away with his family threatens to bring everything Adaline has ever kept secret to light, she makes a decision that will change her life forever.


Blake Lively as the ever immaculate Adaline Bowman


If you're thinking to yourself that this sounds like the synopsis of a trashy Nicholas Sparks film, you're right, it does. Sceptical that it could be any good based on the fact it sounds like a trashy Nicholas Sparks film? So was I, but although it shares some of the same qualities, it is actually not a bad film. One of the writers did help adapt a NS novel into a screenplay, which could explain some of the similarities. Now, don't get me wrong, I love a good old fashined trashy Nicholas Sparks movie as much as the next girl, because they're trashy and ridiculous and the leading men are always dreamy. But I go in knowing they're going to be glorious in all their trashiness, and I don't go in thinking I'm going to watch the next masterpiece in cinema history. What I liked about THE AGE OF ADALINE is that aside from the fantastical plot, the emotions were a little bit more genuine, realistic and honest than they might have been if it was a Nicholas Sparks trashy romance.

Lee Toland Krieger is a fantastic director, I loved his last film CELESTE AND JESSE FOREVER, so I was hoping he would be able to pull this fantastical, romance off, because there was a risk that it could be trashy and revolting. Guess what folks? He did it. It's a far cry from the tale of love in his last film, which was honest in its own way, but I think it's a nice step forward for Krieger and I hope to see a lot more from him in the future.

A dreamy voice-over gives is the premise of this film with a lovingly crafted extended montage telling the tale of Adaline's life and bringing us to the modern day. After eight decades of being 29, and bring on the run every decade, Adaline is tired. She may look a youthful 29, but she is old beyond her years and a life of running has taken its toll. The second act is where we get charge of emotion and added depth to this story, although really what are the chances that the man you've falled in love with happens to be the son of a man you loved some 50 years ago? Seems a bit unfair doesn't it, I mean of all the people!

Adaline and William reconnect after 50 years


Let's take a moment to talk about how brilliant Harrison Ford is in this film. I mean really...I don't recall the last time I saw him in something where he triggered such emotion. When his character William meets future Adaline you can see the rush of emotions flood through him - it is raw and he is vulnerable - and his performance draws something out of Lively that gives the film a new spark. You see in the trailer that William and Adaline reconnect, but the reason why they reconnect is a fresh little twist in this film.

Snaps to the casting crew on this film, Lively shows that she's got leading lady material in her and that she's not just some TV 'it' girl who married Ryan Reynolds, Michiel Huisman is divine (I don't watch Game of Thrones, but knowing he's in it makes me want to!), and a massive well done on finding Anthony Ingruber, who plays twenty-something William opposite Adaline. He is beautiful and a great match for the older Harrison Ford.

Anthony Ingruber as a young William


What would you do with eternal youth? You get all the wisdom that comes with age and unlimited time to do everything you ever wanted - have 57 careers, learn 16 languages, travel everywhere and remain everr youthful. Sounds nice in theory right? We all want more hours in the day, days in the week, more months in the year, but do we really? That's something that AGE OF ADALINE adresses quite nicely I thought. It would be quite a lonely life if you think about it. Your family has died long ago, your only daughter is growing old, you can't sustain a relationship with someone more than a few months or at most a year for fear that they will learn your secret, and then what's the point? Why bother to love, go through the heartbreak, cause someone else heartbreak? Put it in the too hard basket and get a dog I say, which is exactly what Adaline did. She put love in the too hard basket and has had a string of King Charles Cavaliers throughout her life to love and keep her company. Heads up if you're a sucker for animals, take tissues, you'll need them.

Adaline and her dog Reece

I won't spoil the ending because it will get you right in the feels, even my heatless friend LahLah said it got her in the feels. She's not really heartless, but unlike me, she's not a big emotional movie watcher. I will say that the acting was solid from all the cast, the direction and cinematography were well done and transcended many of the trappings and pitfalls of this fantasy genre. I was equally impressed with the costume design in this film, and I would think it's up there for at least a nomination during next years award season. 

THE AGE OF ADALINE is a lovely film, don't let the trailer turn you off because it's not what you think it's going to be. If you're not huge into the romance genre, don't bother spending the 20-something dollars to go and see it, but if you are I think it's definitely worth a look. 

3.5 out of 5 for THE AGE OF ADALINE

Adaline and the divine Ellis (Michiel Huisman)...mmmm...divine



xoxo
The Blonde Bombshell



No comments:

Post a Comment