Sunday 7 June 2015

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD - review


MAD MAX: FURY ROAD
Director: George Miller
Cast: Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron, Nicholas Hoult, Hugh Keays-Byrne

OK, so I'm going to just come right out and say it. I didn't love MAD MAX: FURY ROAD. *pause for gasps of shock and disapproval*  That's right, I said it. Controversial isn't it? Someone even called me un-Australian. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person out there who didn't love it. The first time I saw it, I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was about it that I didn't love. So, I wanted a week and saw it again, but I still felt the same. So I waited another week, read some reviews, spoke to some people and waited for my feelings about it to change. They didn't and I'm still not 100% sure why that is. 

In a start desert landscape where hunamity is broken, two rebels just might be able to restore order: Max, a man of action and of few words, and Furiosa, a woman of action who is looking to make it back to her childhood homeland. 

the chase to bring Furiosa home begins

IMDB makes it sound good right? The trailer looks awesome right? The review are incredible right? Right. All of those things are right. I grew up knowing Mad Max, I loved MAD MAX and back thn I even loved Mel Gibson, I was so excited that George Miller was back with another installment of the franchise. I, like most other people, could not wait until FURY ROAD hit the big screen. Everyone was raving about it, I was buzzing with anticipation. It was clear the rest of western Melbourne was too, because it took me three goes to get into a session at my local cinema. I was so ready, so imagine my surprise when at the end of two hours, I wasn't really sure how I felt or why I couldn't just be like everyone else around me, raving like a lunatic about how awesome it was. 

I saw how great everything was - the casting, the directing, the narrative, the character arcs, the set, the costuming, the special effects. I saw all of that and I loved it. Miller has done an amazing job. Within about 3 minutes, we're in the middle of an intense high speed chase, there's dust storms, explosions and flashbacks to help cast our minds back to why Max is mad. It's glorious, it really is. I have no doubt in my mind that this films is going to bring about some major nominations buzz when the time comes. 

look at that - it's marvellous

So why? Why didn't I like it? Nay, why didn't I love it. I should have loved it. Everything was so on point, I just should have loved it. Upon reflection here's a four things I can come up with that have maybe impacted how I feel about MAD MAX: FURY ROAD; 

1) the hype - there was so much hype, maybe part of me couldn't help but wonder if it lived up to it
2) the goodness - maybe I wanted it to be a little bit less Hollywood blockbuster, and more grungy Australian film
3) the length - some of the chase scenes, although amazing to look out were drawn out - I would have left a bit more on the cutting room floor I think
4) Furiosa - raved about as an incredible feminist heroine, which she was, but in the end men did a bunch of the dirty grunt work, and made the final decision about where to go and what to do next. 

I wouldn't recomend running right out to see it, although because I've taken so long to write my review, you proably already have. I am probably glad that I didn't spend the 20-something dollars on it, although, I would say that it's almost worth it just for the SFX which are bloody phenomenal. Watch it, see what all the fuss is about. I'm not sorry I saw it, I maybe am sorry that I saw it twice though, I should have trusted my gut the first time round. 

2.5 out of 5

xoxo
The Blonde Bombshell

2 comments:

  1. I can see your point, but explosions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The explosions were phenomenal - hats off to the SFX team!!

      Delete